Personally I don't think else if needs to be an actual reserved word.
It would make more sense just to allow people to put an if right after
an else (with a space or newline, not some silly terminator.) in order
to achieve the effect of the keyword.  I am not entirely certain of
this but I think that this is how C++ and java happen to work.