Kyrre Nyg?rd wrote:

>         Hey all!
>
>         I aspire to become a great Ruby as well as Rails developer. But
> what books should I buy?
>
>         01
> <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0974514055/ref=ord_cart_shr/102-8499224-6872917?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance>Programming
> Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers' Guide, Second Edition
>         02
> <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/097669400X/ref=ord_cart_shr/102-8499224-6872917?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance>Agile
> Web Development with Rails: A Pragmatic Guide (Pragmatic Programmers)
>         03
> <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596101325/ref=ord_cart_shr/102-8499224-6872917?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance>Ruby
> on Rails: Up and Running
>         04
> <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596527314/ref=ord_cart_shr/102-8499224-6872917?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance>Rails
> Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly))
>         05
> <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0596523696/ref=ord_cart_shr/102-8499224-6872917?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance>Ruby
> Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly))
>
>         Is this a good mixture? For instance, with 02, do I really need
> 03? Or with 03, do I really need 02? Please give me your input guys. I
> don't have too much money to spend.
>
> Thanks,
> Kyrre

I would buy the Second Edition of Agile Web Development With Rails
directly from Pragmatic (in beta), and download the required "Edge
Rails". For background, I would buy Programming Ruby in PDF from
Pragmatic, since the paper versions aren't updated as frequently. And I
would buy David Black's "Ruby for Rails" from Manning, which isn't
listed in your selections. I believe it's available in both PDF and paper.

Well ... you said you aspire to becoming a *great* Ruby/Rails developer.
:) If that's too much for you, just get David Black's book and play
around with the tutorials.