Hi --

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006, rpardee / gmail.com wrote:

> I confess I haven't really followed this thread carefully, but--I
> totally agree on the 'elsif' keyword.  Wouldn't it be possible for ruby
> to accept *either* spelling?
>
> If so, I would definitely advocate it--you don't lose anything for the
> perlsters, and those of us coming from other languages won't have to
> deal w/the IMHO surprising spelling.
>
> I remember dealing w/this same issue while learning pl/sql.  After
> staring at my modest program for like 40 minutes looking for the
> complained-of syntax error, I was bitter bitter bitter when I finally
> learned that I was expected to mis-spell 'else'...
>
> I actually thought ruby did this already--had to write a little script
> to verify that it doesn't...

When you're using Ruby, it's best just to come from Ruby.  Then you
don't have to be surprised by things like this, or feel any resentment
toward Ruby for failing to be C or Java or whatever.  Languages do
lots of things differently from each other.  Some day they may all
converge, but that convergences doesn't have to be called Ruby :-)

David

--
                   David A. Black | dblack / wobblini.net