I confess I haven't really followed this thread carefully, but--I
totally agree on the 'elsif' keyword.  Wouldn't it be possible for ruby
to accept *either* spelling?

If so, I would definitely advocate it--you don't lose anything for the
perlsters, and those of us coming from other languages won't have to
deal w/the IMHO surprising spelling.

I remember dealing w/this same issue while learning pl/sql.  After
staring at my modest program for like 40 minutes looking for the
complained-of syntax error, I was bitter bitter bitter when I finally
learned that I was expected to mis-spell 'else'...

I actually thought ruby did this already--had to write a little script
to verify that it doesn't...

Cheers,

-Roy