I found this Wiki article, which helped me out a lot.

http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowToUseActiveRecordOutsideRails

New to Ruby, but I have a theory.  When ever I've done this,
I typically run ActiveRecord::Base.establish_connection
outside of any class definition, that seemed to work for me.
Another approach I've used (when some of my models in rails
connection to a different DB than the rest of the rails app)
is to have a top level class (called DB) that is something like

class DB < ActiveRecord::Base
	ActiveRecord::Base.establish_connection( .. )
end

And then TheMode and Comment would be

class TheMode < DB
end