> While waiting for the first Ruby book in english by Dave & Andy, I wonder if
> I can use the book 'Learning Perl' to learn Ruby. That is, I'll try to redo
> the Perl program in that book in Ruby language.
>
> Another idea may be even better is to redo the Perl program in the book
> 'Object-Oriented Perl' in Ruby language.

Well, if you want to learn ruby, your time would probably better be spent
studying ruby code and trying to write stuff in ruby, but if you want to learn
another, similar language, python is probably closer to ruby than perl.
Obviously, I have a bias, but ruby to me feels like "python + more OO gizmos"
(like data hiding w/ private attrs, proper encapsulation w/ accessor methods,
class methods, iterators, etc.).

Python classes can often be directly translated to ruby and it will be pretty
idiomatic, I think, if you replace higher-order-functions with iterators.