On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 22:15 +0900, Mage wrote:
> Ross Bamford wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 01:58 +0900, Mage wrote:
> >
> >> my simple question is that is libxml thread-safe? I would like to use it
> >> in production environment.
> >>
> > The simple answer is probably not. We do have an open bug[1] regarding
> > cross-thread synchronisation, and though I've been unable to reproduce
> > it so far, I take that to mean it's probably platform/configure/compiler
> > specific. Most of the other open bugs pertain to pointer handling, and
> > have the potential to get 'interesting' in a multi-threaded program.
> >
> I simply want to generate an xml file with root 'ads' and nodes 'ad'
> (and subnodes of course).
> Since the generation uses network traffic and image manipulation I think
> multithreading will enchant the performance.
>
> Should I create every 'ad' node with Monitor.synchronize? Is this
> enough? The subnodes of 'ad' nodes won't share any data.

To be completely honest, I really don't know - I've still to reproduce
any multithread-related bugs here, but I *do* know we have a few open
problems that *could* be exasperated in a multithreaded program. My only
remotely useful advice right now would be "try it", but then probably
not in a production environment... The lib _should_ be thread safe, so
if you do try it, and find anything goes wrong, I'd appreciate a bug
report ;)

Sorry I can't be more help... :(