Dat Nguyen writes:

> >From: Clemens Hintze <c.hintze / gmx.net>
> >To: ruby-talk / netlab.co.jp (ruby-talk ML)
> >Subject: [ruby-talk:02183] Use 'Learning Perl' to learn Ruby
> >Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:49:03 +0200 (CEST)
> >
> >Dat Nguyen writes:
> > > While waiting for the first Ruby book in english by Dave & Andy, I
> >wonder if
> > > I can use the book 'Learning Perl' to learn Ruby. That is, I'll try to
> >redo
> > > the Perl program in that book in Ruby language.

> > > At least, I'll have some practical exercises to practice Ruby rather
> >than
> > > starring at the Ruby manual and wonder what & where those instructions
> >are
> > > applicable.
> >
> >Hmm! This gives me the expression, that you have not all too much
> >experience with HL programming, do you! Knowing Perl and Python, I had
> >no difficulties to grasp Ruby's all-world features, only the Ruby's own
> >ones.

Ok! I stand corrected. I have never tried to belittle your knowledge!
My idea was only born because you have stated "... where those
instructions are applicable". I couldn't imagine that a guy like you
with profound knowledge for "scripting" (ouch! Conrad don't beat me! I
will say programming) languages could use a sentence like the one
above.

But perhaps it is again the lack of my English skills ... :-(

> You're too fast, you don't get the idea. Since you don't know both books
> 'Learning Perl' & 'Object-Oriented Perl', it's hard to comment on them.

No! I am not too fast. Because I have stated that I do not know
them. I have also not commented on them. I have only said, that *IF*
they are the way I thought it would probably not too good to use them.

> They represent tasks that can be done with scripting language. I refer to
> the tasks themself and not their immplementation in Perl.

That is what I meant: In this book seems to be tasks "... that can be
done with scripting language." IMHO, this is not the right way to
learn Ruby. Ruby is a *programming* language. You can do much more
than only scripting. Do not restrict yourself!

Furthermore I have only stated that *I* think that the second book
your mentioned would probably more apropiate for learning Ruby, as it
deals with OO. But these were only some thoughts of mine that I would
liked to share with my friends-in-Ruby. Probably others have other
opinions and I can learn from them.

I am clear that because I do not know the books, it may happen that
somebody will post a message stating that I am totally wrong. The
first book is the best one people can use to learn Ruby and the second
one is crop! This is okay for me!

I have tried to give an advice with unsufficiant information
available. If you do not like such advices, please tell me and I will
not do it again to you. :-)

> Dat

\cle

--
Clemens Hintze  mailto: c.hintze / gmx.net