To: #{to}
Subject: #{subject}
Date: #{Time.now.strftime("%a %b %e %T %Y %z")}
From: #{@from}

HDRS

      send_message( hdrs + data.join("\n") + ".\n", @from, *to_array)
  rescue Net::SMTPFatalError, Net::SMTPSyntaxError
    if $! =~ /virtual alias table/ then
      retries += 1
      STDERR.puts "mail failed #{retries} for #{to}:#{$!}"
      spleep(10)
     retry if retries <= 2
    end
    STDERR.puts "mail failed for #{to}:#{$!}"
    false
  end

I wish to 'reset' the smtp session so that I can continue sending email
without doing a finish and another start (i.e. before I retry).  Is this
possible?  I've looked through the docs for net::smtp and not found
anything obvious.  I have not looked at the source yet.

Russell