I'm just learning ruby myself, but typically when this
happens, I'm missing an end to a function, or some other
block:

#!/usr/bin/ruby

def joe
     print "JOE MAMMA\n"

Produces:

[alibby@localhost ~]$ ./t.rb
./t.rb:6: syntax error, unexpected $end, expecting kEND

Perhaps this is it? If you're willing to post the code (if
it's not too long) we may be able to provide more guidance.

Andy