On 10/10/06, jeffnyman / gmail.com <jeffnyman / gmail.com> wrote:
> What I'm curious about is if any of you have been using REXML (or
> perhaps another XML solution for Ruby) to parse and modify XML files in
> memory. If so, what sorts of processing times have you found?

Ask Tim Bray:
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/
He is doing some pretty serious work in this regard.

I have seen some benchmarks that put REXML processing at being
about 10 times slower than an equivalent java mechanism:

http://www.pankaj-k.net/archives/2005/11/ruby_or_java_a.html

REXML is the 'user-friendly' and cross platform ruby parser.
When you need hardcore performance, you need to check out
one of the alternative Ruby parsers (typically implemented in
C). YMMV.