>From: Dave Thomas <Dave / thomases.com>
>To: ruby-talk / netlab.co.jp (ruby-talk ML)
>Subject: [ruby-talk:02187] Re: Ruby - Show Me
>Date: 27 Mar 2000 10:52:35 -0600
>
>Clemens Hintze <c.hintze / gmx.net> writes:
>
> > Dat Nguyen writes:
> >
> > > My advice is when you program in a particular language, use the idioms
>of
> > > that very language. Don't do it the 'A', 'B' or 'C' way. Scripting
>language
> > > is at the foremost strongest by using regular expression whenever
>applicable
> > > in text processing.
>
>Dat:
>
>I've got some advice too.
>
>You posted a question, asking something about a very basic feature of
>all modern scripting languages - hashes.
>
>Rather than suggesting that you do what everyone else here has done
>and re-read the guide or the FAQ, Clemens took the time and trouble to
>illustrate an alternative approach. Perhaps it had a bug - I think he
>viewed it as an illustration, not an answer to an exam question.
>
>However, rather than being grateful, you then come back and belittle
>his efforts on your behalf.
>
>From your question, you implied that you have little experience of
>scripting languages. And yet here you are, giving condescending advice
>to an expert.[1]
>
>So, either you are very experienced, and your original question was a
>deception, or you are new to all this, in which case your reply above
>is inappropriate.
>
>Either way, it leaves a bad taste.
>

>Dave Thomas
>

>Footnotes:
>[1]  And for what it's worth, I happen to think his approach
>      was better, and it is one I'd probably have used myself. However,
>      you specifically wanted a solution using hashes.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
In fact when Clemens showed me his solution, I was very amazed and
immediately archived it.
This morning I just tried it out for fun and discovered the slight
difference, I did not even call it a bug. (Bad taste here ???)
I might have some experiences with some other languages, but not Ruby. If
somebody wonders if I have programming background at all, I would be glad to
provide pointers.
I am an eager learner and a critical obsever. Yes, I do have some minor
experience with Smalltalk and recognize its presence in Ruby. But I gave up
long time ago to find a perfect language. I just want to be ready to switch
job using a language of my employer's choice.

Dat