Ross Bamford wrote:
> For anyone who's interested in this kind of stuff, I just uploaded my
> pure-ruby toy JVM to Rubyforge. It's obviously very slow, but can be
> useful for seeing how things work or debugging generated classes that
> won't verify. It can do some reasonable class-dumps and execution
> traces, too. It's probably about 70% complete, with most instructions
> implemented, and currently has some integration with the GNU Classpath
> runtime library.
>
> http://ruva.rubyforge.org/
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruva
> svn checkout svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/ruva/trunk

Seriously though, this might have real applications in JRuby. Existing
libraries for examining bytecodes are far from friendly, and having a
nice API to examine classes and code could be useful. We're planning on
writing the next iteration of the Ruby-bytecode compiler in Ruby, and
having a library like this to examine the results will make that easier.

--
Charles Oliver Nutter, JRuby Core Developer
headius / headius.com -- charles.o.nutter / sun.com
Blogging at headius.blogspot.com