Hi all,

1) I read lines from a file and put them into one string. There are many
empty sapces within the string. Which method is used to remove the
spaces? I try gsub!("\s",'') but it doesn't work. Any help will be
appreciated.

2) I read each line from a file and split each of them into several
fields/segments. Then I need to populate an array with one field only
from each line. How do I do that? I know do these in Perl but have no
idea using Ruby.

3) How do I search help or some methods/predifined variables from ruby
command prompt? Is it possible to do that? Right now the only thing I
can do is  to open the folder containing the manual and read them in IE
browser. Is this the Ruby way?

Thanks in advance,

Li