Hi,

I am trying to get my head around the || symbol used extensively in
ruby. To me it is somewhat foreign still and I am trying a few exercise
to make it click. Can anyone suggest a phrase (pseudolanguage) that
accurately expresses the possible expressions using || ?

For example, see the comments and please correct me if I am wrong. Could
you add other cases that I may not have caught here ?

input.each_byte do |b|
  case b
    when ?\C-c; puts 'Control-C: stopped a process?'
    when ?\C-z; puts 'Control-Z: suspended a process?'
    when ?\n; puts 'Newline.'
    when ?\M-x; puts 'Meta-x: using Emacs?'
  end
for each byte in input, assign it to b...

Ex 2:
open('smiley.html', 'wb') do |f|
  f << '<meta http-equiv="Content-Type"
content="text/html;charset=UTF-8">'