"Starting a thread with a pejorative assertion is going to seriously
distort the responses."

That is an assumption you do here.

Just by replying to the core of his question does in no way
associate your response with HIS opinion, nor is there an
imperative that a response gets distorted. It depends
on the people who reply! :-)

So please give him the fair chance to keep his own opinion,
and address his underlying question of (summarized):

  frameworks, languages (and their strength/weakness), your
  personal experience with them.

For me, although I personally have not jumped seriously
on the Rails train ;) I think there are a lot of extremely
nice ideas injected in a "sidewhere fashion", for example:

the gruff stuff/library.

Very easy, but a cool idea and it also looks extremely
cool.

These little things are what I love a lot. I am much more
fascinated by these "offspring projects" than by rails core
stuff (although some Ajax niceties are also nice, and I wonder
how far rails can go, given that other projects like rails
livecd sprung forth too...)