On 10/6/06, Louis J Scoras <louis.j.scoras / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/5/06, Charles Oliver Nutter <Charles.O.Nutter / sun.com> wrote:
> > David Vallner wrote:
> > > Not in a semicolon-free language, I'm afraid. And if nothing else, this
> > > reinforces use of a common style convention, which is a Good Thing.
> >
> > Well let's not go too far down that path, now, or we might add something
> > horrid like syntactic indentation...
>
> Exactly what I was thinking.  On the other hand, although I don't care
> for Python, the whitespace thing doesn't bother me in Haskell.  I
> don't know why, but I get the feeling that it wouldn't be so bad in
> Ruby code either, but it's just a guess.
>
> To tell the truth, I do wish there was a visible statement seperator
> though (semi-colon).  I find this
[...]
As far as I know nothing prevents you from using a semi-colon at the
end of your statements if you wish ...
see :

irb(main):001:0> class A; def t; @t||=[];end;end;
irb(main):002:0* a=A.new
=> #<A:0x100d29e8>
irb(main):013:0> u=a.
irb(main):014:0* t.
irb(main):015:0* length;
irb(main):016:0* u
=> 0

it does work so if you have some really long statement on multiple
lines and you want a visual marker at the end, go ahead, semi-colon
works just fine

--
jean
$ ruby -v