On 10/5/06, Charles Oliver Nutter <Charles.O.Nutter / sun.com> wrote:
> David Vallner wrote:
> > Not in a semicolon-free language, I'm afraid. And if nothing else, this
> > reinforces use of a common style convention, which is a Good Thing.
>
> Well let's not go too far down that path, now, or we might add something
> horrid like syntactic indentation...

Exactly what I was thinking.  On the other hand, although I don't care
for Python, the whitespace thing doesn't bother me in Haskell.  I
don't know why, but I get the feeling that it wouldn't be so bad in
Ruby code either, but it's just a guess.

To tell the truth, I do wish there was a visible statement seperator
though (semi-colon).  I find this

    some_long_variable name = long_expression_which_needs
      + to_break_across_lines;

     method
       .chaing
       .is.more.noticiable;

to be more readable than:

    some_long_variable name = long_expression_which_needs +
      to_break_across_lines

    method.
      chaining.
      stands.out.less

Also, a syntax for associating more than one block with a method would
be nice too.

Of course these are minor gripes.  As it is often cited, ruby is a
beautiful language.

--
Lou.