On Oct 4, 2006, at 10:59 AM, Francis Cianfrocca wrote:

> In my example, what I asked was: what if I offered you a message-
> queueing
> product *that supported JMS* ...... and happened to be written in
> Ruby.
> No one's asking you to learn a new language, that would be
> singularly poor
> marketing. ;-) My point with this example is that there are
> elements of
> today's application-support stack that could do with some major
> improvements, and Ruby might be a good language to use for them.

How about one written in Java which supports Ruby (and C, Python,
PHP, Perl, C#, C++, Pike, as well as JMS)?

1) Install and start ActiveMQ ( http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/ )

2) 'gem install stomp' or http://svn.codehaus.org/stomp/ruby/trunk/

3)
--
   require 'stomp'
   client = Stomp::Client.new("username", "password", "localhost",
   require 'stomp'
   client = Stomp::Client.new("username", "password", "localhost",
61613)
   10.times { client.send("/queue/SOMETHING.NIBBLE", "Hello!") }
--

4) See http://incubator.apache.org/activemq/stomp.html for more
details on getting the exact behavior you want.

5) See http://dev.tirsen.com/trac/activemessaging for a framework
around it which is designed to play nicely with a certain popular web
framework in Ruby.

6) See also Gozirra ( http://www.germane-software.com/software/Java/
Gozirra/ ) for a lighter-weight messaging solution which supports the
same spread of clients.

-Brian