I've done some more searching

This is the DBI connection string that I'm currently working with is

require 'win32ole'
require 'DBI'
myAD = DBI.connect('DBI:ADO:ADsDSOObject')

I've also found this thread that deal with MS SQL 2003
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/175389

It lead me to this
DBI:ADO:Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=YOURSERVER;Initial
Catalog=YOURDB;User Id=YOU;Password=YOURPASSWORD;

which I modified to
myAD = DBI.connect('DBI:ADO:Provider=ADsDSOObject;Data
Source=corp.company.com;')

but that didn't work either

the first gets an error on 'connect' stating that
[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no
default
 driver specified

the second gets an error on 'connect stating that
OLE error code:800A0CB3 in ADODB.Connection Current provider does not
support transactions.

I'm mostly a newbie with Ruby but it doesn't seem like I'm doing
anything too complicated here if anyone can point me to better DBI and
Ruby active directory docs that would be great.  If you think I've
botched something on the install let me know.

Thanks
C.Particle