------art_15969_4152282.1159857426161

Hi,

On 10/3/06, nobu / ruby-lang.org <nobu / ruby-lang.org> wrote:

> You could override the definition in Makefile by make
> INSTALLusr/bin/install -c'

Thanks for the tip!  I ran across this problem when installing gems that
compiled extensions, though.  I know of no way to override this in the gem
environment.  So, my workaround is to edit rbconfig.rb and correct the
CONFIG["INSTALL"] line.

> BTW, do ports have to be built by root?  For instance, RPM used
> to be built by an ordinary user and ownerships are described in
> spec files.

AFAIK, they do not *have* to be built by root, but do need to be installed
by root.  My practise is to do a 'make install' in the appropriate ports
directory, as this will also take in all dependencies and install them.  I
haven't tried it using 'sudo', though.

- Dimitri

------art_15969_4152282.1159857426161--