The Ruby Quiz page is always a good read -- http://www.rubyquiz.com/
It probably would be a good idea to try a few of these as a project, of
sorts.  I can't think of any projects off of the top of my head that
would be fun or good to do.  That said, if you come up with an idea,
try it.  It can't hurt.

Aside from that, I'm not really sure.  If you use a library you enjoy,
take a look at it's source code.

I hope this helps a little, and I'm sure you'll enjoy Ruby.  It's quite
fun =)

James H.