On 1 Oct 2006, at 23:00, Kalman Noel wrote:

> Alex Gutteridge:
>> foo[x](y,z)
>> foo[x][y,z]
>> foo[x].call(y,z)
>
> Would it be a problem to write foo(x,y,z) or foo[x,y,z]?
>
> Kalman

That is another option I had considered. However, in the library in
question 'foo' represents a running R interpreter, 'x' represents an
R function and 'y' and 'z' represent arguments to that function. So I
would like to keep 'x' and 'y,z' visually separate as much as
possible. So, while it is a little extra typing, I prefer: r
['sum'].call(1,2) over r('sum',1,2). In this case it would also be
possible to write the preferred form: r.sum(1,2) but as I mentioned,
this is not possible for some strangely named R functions such as '$'
or '[['.

Dr Alex Gutteridge
Post-Doctoral Researcher

Bioinformatics Center