Actually, you can use pretty much anything you want ...

I tend to start up an external process running whatever ( perl, python,
php, java, C++, whatever ) ... and have it run a XMLRPC engine ...

Then I just send code that means something to that engine ...

So, with everything but C++ you can just do evals on the xmlrpc side ...
( in java I recommend beanshell ) ... let it do what it needs to do ...
and return a string or integer or whatever ... ( usually if I need a
complex data structure I pass YAML back and forth since there are YAML
engines for most any programming language you could want to use ) ...

Anyways ... that's how I go about it ... it definately lets you use Ruby
as glue or as your controller ...

... hope that helps.

jd