In article <dd9c9b69.0109261010.4a0ed878 / posting.google.com>,
Carl Youngblood <carlyoungblood / email.com> wrote:
>Please!  I don't have the time or expertise to dig through the ruby
>library and try to fix the Net problems that I've been having with XP
>and 2000.  I have a number of scripts that use SMTP, POP3 and HTTP
>classes and work fine in Windows 98, but constantly crash on Windows
>2000 and XP.  I have seen this issue mentioned previously on
>comp.lang.ruby, but everybody shrugs their shoulders and seems to just
>put up with it.  I think that this is an important enough issue to
>really interfere with the progress and wide acceptance of ruby.  In
>fact, I've ended upn coding a lot of stuff in C# just to avoid the
>annoyances, even though I would much prefer to use Ruby.
>
>Would some courageous soul venture into this territory?

Do you have any example code? (Caveat: I don't have either Win2k or XP
nor do I plan to get either of them in the near (or far) future...)

I recall something about problems with cygwin in some of these areas.
Question: do we rely too heavily on cygwin for some things that perhaps we
should try to control ourselves?  This is perhaps the advantage for the
ActiveState versions of Perl/Python - I don't think they use cygwin at
all. (don't get me wrong, cygwin tools are great, I wouldn't try to use
Windows without them :)

Phil