I believe the 48 hours are up, so here's my solution:
http://www.io.com/~jimm/rubyquiz/quiz96/

I decided to modify my solution to the Lisp Game quiz so it plays
itself. The output is a random "story" that's all plot and no
characterization.

Aside from a small tweak to one method in game.rb, all the
"story-telling" code can be found in rads.rb. The general approach I
took was to, for each turn, find all legal verbs and construct correct
game input. Look for the comment "new game-playing methods". The one
tweak to game.rb suppresses error messages when checking for the
legality of certain moves.

The game plays itself to a conclusion in approximately five to ten
seconds on my laptop. If I pipe all output to a file instead of the
terminal, it completes in under a second.

  * rads.rb the engine, with modified "story-telling" code
  * game.rb the game description and custom verbs

To run this game, download both files and execute game.rb. See the
notes for my original game solution for details.

Jim
--
Jim Menard, jimm / io.com, jim.menard / gmail.com
http://www.io.com/~jimm