Esmail Bonakdarian wrote:
> Thank you so much for these pointers. Am I correct in assuming
> that REXML comes as part of standard Ruby? If so I think I will
> go that route first.

Glad to help. And yes, REXML is a pure-ruby parser (uses regexp under
the hood) and is included with ruby stdlib since 1.8.

> I could cobble something together using various Linux tools
> (grep and awk come to mind), but I want something in Ruby
> (because I want to learn it) and also because it will be
> more portable, for instance to the XP platform.

REXML is more portible, albeit not as fast as Hpricot, which is
implemented as a compiled C extension for ruby.

Have fun learning ruby! It's a nice language. :)

Regards,
Jordan