While following the discussion about the improvements|enhancements|
adjudments| of Ruby, I recall the following statement of Bjarne Stroustroup:

"Much of the relative simplicity of Java is - like for most new languages -
partly an illusion and partly a function of its incompleteness. As time
passes, Java will grow significantly in size and complexity. It will double
or triple in size and grow implementation-dependent extensions or libraries.
That is the way every commercially successful language has developed. Just
look at any language you consider successful on a large scale. I know of no
exceptions, and there are good reasons for this phenomenon."

Replace 'Java' in the statement above with 'Perl', 'Python' and any other
scripting language including 'Ruby', the picture seems to be the same.

Perl did a major evolution from Perl 4 to Perl 5, and still evolves.
Python went through 1.5.1, 1.5.2 and soon 1.6, 2.0 and 3000.
Tcl experienced 7.x, 8.0, 8.1, 8.2, 8.3, and will not stop.
Ruby was 1.4.x, and soon or later 1.5.x.

They all are implemented in C and have to deal with the same language design
problems.

Dat