On 9/29/06, Tanner Burson <tanner.burson / gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/28/06, Matthew Harris <shugotenshi / gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to happily introduce Duration, the package for managing
> > timespan durations. Have you ever been in a situation where you wanted
> > to print a human-readable representation of a duration, maybe
> > something like "4 days, 20 minutes and 8 seconds"?
> >
> > Well, Duration gives you this functionality. I have written a detailed
> > wiki article at http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/Duration where
> > you can read about how to install and use Duration.
> >
> > The current version is 0.0.4 and is quite stable. If you find any
> > bugs, please email me the bug with a relevant email subject.
> >
> > Any feature requests should be sent to my email as well, as I am very
> > interested in to hear and possibly implement what you as the user
> > would feel would enhance Duration.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > --
> > Matt
>

> You mention that it can convert number of days/weeks into months.  How do
> you deal with the fact that a "month" doesn't have a standard number of
> days?  Do you do as the Rails extension does by assuming a fixed number, or
> some other form of trickery?
>

> --
> ===Tanner Burson===
> tanner.burson / gmail.com
> http://tannerburson.com   <---Might even work one day...

Since durations are only based on timespans of fixed lengths, they do
not work relatively. So there is no time-detection magic to determine
the days in a given month, because also durations don't distinguish
between what month it is (whether it be January or Feburary).
BigDuration, the class that supports years and months will assume 30
days as 1 month, and 12 months as 1 year.

--
Matt