On 9/28/06, Robert Dober <robert.dober / gmail.com> wrote:

> Aliases are commonly used in Ruby Array#collect, Array#map etc
>
> why not having them for flected forms
> String#starts_with? <=> String#start_with?
> personally I like String#prefix? and String#suffix? too, shorter and very
> precise.
>
> Object#responds_to? <=> ...
>
> I guess it will make life easier for Newbies and let everybody use it's
> personal feeling for what sounds better.

That was my first thought.

On the other hand it could lead to ethnic enclaves in the ruby
community based on different dialects or accents.

CockneyRuby, SouthernDrawlRuby, LanguedocRuby, SchweizerdeutschRuby? <G>

I used to tell people I met in Zurich that I felt like I was Swiss
since my mother's parents were German, my father's parents were
Italian, et je parle un peu de francais! <G>

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/