Hi,
With a lot of help from Jamey, the KirbyBase inventor, I've managed to
get a script that does what I want it to. I've proven that I can
populate my database properly. But, so far, I've only been able to
update my table if I put in literal values, like the value "39" below.
But, in my real world, I need to put a variable in there. It's a
variable derived prior to this in the program. It's named "$totalpages."
If I put #{$totalpages} in place of the "39" below, I get a parsing
error:

:/PageCounts/pagecounter.rb:91: parse error, unexpected kEND

Dir.glob("*.ps").each do |dirfile|
  result = pageinfo_tbl.select(:recno, :filename) { |r| dirfile =~
Regexp.new(r.filename) }
  pageinfo_tbl.update(:pagecount=>39) { |r| r.recno ==
result.first.recno } unless result.empty?
end

Thanks,
Peter