Patrick Lynch wrote:
> John Gabriele wrote:
>> On 9/21/06, Patrick Lynch <lynchnco / patmedia.net> wrote:
>>> I'm going thru the "PickAxe" book but can find only limited information
>>> in it regarding how Ruby connects to and uses MySql..
>>>
>>> Is there any documentation available in regard to this?
>>>

>> Hi Pat,
>>
>> Here's what I've been able to gather on the matter:
>> http://www.simisen.com/jmg/notes/ruby/db.html
>>
>> ---John
>
> Hi John,
> Thanks for the link...I'll work it and let you know how I make out...
> I hope I can return the favor someday.
> Ciao,
> Pat

Good morning,
I should have noted that I'm trying to get Ruby to talk to MySql on a
Windows XP/Pro box.

I was able to get Rails working with MySql and I can't understand why
there is no support for MySql and other DBMSs in Ruby. The 'Pick Axe'
makes a reference to 'dbi' on page 157, but offers no help in installing
it...bummer.

So, for my Ruby app, I'll simply use a flat file and abandon my effort
to interface with MySql. What a shame.

In addition, classes mentioned in "Mastering Perl/Tk' (such as
CamvasPlot) cannot, AFAIK, be used with Ruby...if anyone knows how to
make these Perl classes known to Ruby, please let me know...

My next app will be put up with Rails...wish me luck...