In article <de492f88796131ca71ed429a10ead863 / ruby-forum.com>,
 Roman Hausner <roman.hausner / gmail.com> wrote:

> I am planning a project that has the following main requirements:
>
> - it must run on WinXP and Linux, idally also on OSX
> - it must have a GUI preferably with the GUI's native widget set
> - it must allow scripting access to system resources with a modern and
>   comfortable scripting language
>
> The last point is what made me consider Ruby: I'd love to have Ruby
> as the embedded scripting language here.
>
> However, I cannot see how to solve the GUI issue, but maybe I have
> missed some things. Can anyone tell me if there is a common
> (portable) way to

The cross-platform GUI solutions tend to have little (or big!)
deviations from the normal native GUI application behavior on one or
more of their supported platforms.  It often turns out to be worth it to
separate the GUI from the rest of your project, and then you can do the
GUI separately on each platform using whatever tools you would use if
that was the ONLY platform you had to support, and do the rest of your
project in whatever you want (e.g., Ruby), because the users will never
have to see it.

At first, this sounds like about 4 times as much work, as you are doing
your project's code, plus three separate GUIs.  However, the GUIs should
be pretty simple.

If you make the GUI and the rest of the project communicate using some
kind of RPC over TCP, you even get, for pretty much free, the ability to
have the GUI remote.

--
--Tim Smith