On 9/27/06, Devin Mullins <twifkak / comcast.net> wrote:
> Phrogz wrote:

> > (I'm also discouraged by the appearance that the book takes the
> > track of "If you use an RDBMS other than MySQL, it'll mostly work, but
> > you're on your own when you run into trouble.")
> Not just the book... I get the impression the committers do, too. The
> adapters are there, and are constantly being improved, but don't seem to
> be as up to snuff as, oh, say, the one that DHH uses.

I don't really agree about the last point there. I don't feel that
MySQL is even the best Rails adapter right now. The PostgreSQL and
Oracle adapters are each better in a fair number of ways.
If you're not working from example SQL code that is MySQL-specific, or
from the sample gibberish that MySQL happens to call DDL (sorry,
couldn't resist), you shouldn't even notice which DBMS platform you're
on.

The more obscure adapters are almost certainly less fun to use,
though.. anything without a really nice Ruby library under the hood is
probably going to get in your way at some point.