On 9/27/06, Pete Yandell <pete / notahat.com> wrote:
> For non-predicate methods, the second person makes sense. Take
> String.squeeze for example...that's really about you (the second
> person) squeezing the string.

Sorry for entering this thread now to give my two cents. I'm sorry
because I'm a Ruby newbie AND a non-native english speaker, but I
thought I should say this.

I don't think the person is really the question here. I think it's the
imperative form of the verb.
In that case, I have always interpreted that (both in english and in
my native language) as you telling the string to squeeze itself.
File.open, for example, reads like "Hey, File class, open this for me,
please". I'm imperative, but polite :).

I think that's why most methods which do not ask for something are
written like that. I'd also prefer the "starts_with?" name, but if
"start_with?" is more consistent, I say stay with that.

Cheers,
Alvim.