Phrogz wrote:
> What's the best source for the opposite? Learning Rails for those who
> already know Ruby? I'm frustrated by the number of intro tutorials to
> rails that have things like "I learned that @foo is called an 'instance
> variable'".
I learned Rails after 4 months of Ruby, and my approach was basically:
1. Watch the screencast.
2. Start writing a Rails app (keeping a tab open to api.rubyonrails.org).
3. Watch the screencast again.
4. Subscribe to some Rails-related RSS feeds.
5. Figure out a way to get paid to write Rails apps.
6. Read the Rails source as you need/desire.

That was starting around 0.9, though. The Rails world has grown, so I
dunno if that's a good approach any more. (For that matter, I dunno if
it was a good approach back then, but it seems to have worked.)

> (I'm also discouraged by the appearance that the book takes the
> track of "If you use an RDBMS other than MySQL, it'll mostly work, but
> you're on your own when you run into trouble.")
Not just the book... I get the impression the committers do, too. The
adapters are there, and are constantly being improved, but don't seem to
be as up to snuff as, oh, say, the one that DHH uses.

Devin