Hi --

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006, Pete Yandell wrote:

> On 28/09/2006, at 12:33 AM, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>
>> In message "Re: String starts? and ends? methods"
>>    on Wed, 27 Sep 2006 23:05:44 +0900, Jonas Hartmann
>> <Mail / Jonas-Hartmann.com> writes:
>>
>> |but what about puralization?
>>
>> As a convention, Ruby method names use plain verb with singular form,
>> with several exceptions, e.g. is_a? etc.  So we use start_with? not
>> starts_with?
>
> "Starts" is not the plural form of "start", it's just a conjugation.
>
> I start/you start/he, she, it starts/we start/you start/they start
>
> You would never say in English "a start with b", you say "a starts with b",
> even when both a and b are singular. I would argue that it should be the same
> in Ruby, and the method name should be "starts_with?"

I believe the rationale is that it's in the second person: do you
start with ... ?  I realize Matz mentioned singular vs. plural, but I
think that was just shorthand for with/without an 's'.  In the past,
if I remember correctly, he's talked about it as a function of person.

David

--
                   David A. Black | dblack / wobblini.net