Victor Rosillo wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I am using a PowerBook G4 with:
> OSX Tiger version 10.4.7; Rubygems 0.9; Rails 1.1.6; RMagic 1.13.0
>
> I have Ruby and friends installed at /usr/local/...
> just as described in:
> http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rails_lighttpd_mysql_tiger
>
> then installed RMagick as descibed in:
> http://hivelogic.com/articles/2006/06/10/rmagick_os_x
>
> Then installed file_column and the full Rails environment worked fine
> for about four weeks. I could do script/console under iterm and get
> into the
> development environment.
>
> Then, I had to update Quicksilver, Rubygems and Rails; after
> that, I can't access script/console.
>
> If I do script/console under my Rails app dir in iterm, I get this:
>
> PBG4:~/Rails/app vr_mex$ script/console
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rmagick-1.13.0/lib/RMagick.bundle:
> [BUG] Bus Error
> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.7.0]
>
> Abort trap
>
> So then I deleted all RMagick using: uninstall-RMagick.rb and went to
> install RMagick again via the same method:
> http://hivelogic.com/articles/2006/06/10/rmagick_os_x
>
> I got nowhere same error when I do script/console under my Rails app
> dir; so then I thought it had to do with file_column, so I went
> and tried it with acts_as_attachment via doing th sample Rails app in:
> http://weblog.techno-weenie.net/articles/acts_as_attachment
>
> For acts_as_attachment example to work, I had to install
> acts_as_attachment-1.1.6 that I got from here:
> http://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins/tags/acts_as_attachment...
>
> Well I got acts_as_attachment to work fine, but when I went into iterm
> and tried script/console, I got the same error as before; so clearly
> it is not a
> problem with acts_as_attachment or file_column
>
> Then from iterm I did this:
> PBG4:~/Rails/app vr_mex$ ruby -rrubygems -e "require 'RMagick'; puts
> Magick::Long_version;"
> This is RMagick 1.13.0 ($Date: 2006/06/26 23:32:37 $) Copyright (C)
> 2006 by Timothy P. Hunter
> Built with ImageMagick 6.2.8 09/22/06 Q16 http://www.imagemagick.org
> Built for ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.7.0]
> Web page: http://rmagick.rubyforge.org
> Email: rmagick / rubyforge.org
>
> If i do this :
> PBG4:~/Rails/app vr_mex$ which ruby
> /usr/local/bin/ruby
>
> So I reinstalled Ruby and friends again at /usr/local/...
> just as described in:
> http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rails_lighttpd_mysql_tiger
>
> then reinstalled RMagick again as descibed in:
> http://hivelogic.com/articles/2006/06/10/rmagick_os_x
>
> And still getting the same error, can't get script/console to work.
>
> I need to have script/console access when using RMagic under Rails.
>
> Please Help

Uninstall RMagick and install it again from source - not from the gem -
using the instructions at http://rmagick.rubyforge.org/install-osx.html.
The installation includes running 175+ tests. Pay close attention to the
output from these tests. Do you get any errors? If so, report them to
rmagick / rubyforge.org. If not, then RMagick is installed and running
properly and you need to look elsewhere for the problem. My guess
(lacking any other information) would be that you have two versions of
ImageMagick installed. To determine that you'll just have to search your
filesystem. If that turns out to be the case, remove both *completely*
and install ImageMagick and RMagick again *from source* using the
procedure outlined in the RMagick installation FAQ.

If you do have to re-install ImageMagick, think about using the
--with-quantum-depth=8 option when you configure ImageMagick. For
general images intended for the web and for printing on inkjet printers
8 bits is enough and you'll cut your memory requirements in half and
your CPU requirements almost in half.