------art_36087_5187899.1159380177413

On 9/27/06, Jordan McKible <jmckible / gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm making the back end for a feed reader.  I plan to have a daemon
> which periodically checks feeds for updates.  The daemon will have one
> refill thread responsible for maintaining a list of feeds to be updated.
> It will also have n worker threads who pop feeds from the list and
> process them.  When the list is empty, the refill thread will sleep for
> some amount of time (no need to update the feeds constantly), refill the
> list of feeds, and signal to the workers to start up again.
>
> Here's a crawler class as I have it so far.  I've removed some of the
> nonrelevant parts.

I'm seeing multiple problems in this code. #fill and #crawl don't appear to
have loops. #fill contains a statement that can sleep for multiple minutes
holding a mutex lock, but fortunately appears not to be reachable. Try
running with Thread.abort_on_exception set true to see if you are missing a
fault. Again, why does this program need to be threaded, since you've coded
it such that it will sleep holding a lock?

------art_36087_5187899.1159380177413--