On 9/25/06, Paul Lynch <paul / plsys.co.uk> wrote:
> On 26 Sep 2006, at 00:10, Phrogz wrote:
>
> > What's the best source for the opposite? Learning Rails for those who
> > already know Ruby? I'm frustrated by the number of intro tutorials to
> > rails that have things like "I learned that @foo is called an
> > 'instance
> > variable'".
>
> > While I'm asking for some me-centric stuff, how about the best
> > resource
> > for "Rails for the veteran web developer who's used to rolling every
> > bit of HTML and CSS and JS by hand and is having trouble learning to
> > re-use existing helper methods, and is instead spending gobs of time
> > writing 'convenience' methods when that time should be spent cranking
> > out the site." :)
>
> Yup, that's me!
>
> Agile Web Development with Rails (2nd Ed) is going to be your answer,
> but I think you'd enjoy Ruby for Rails, too; I know I did.

I haven't seen Ruby for Rails, so I don't know the balance between
Ruby and Rails. I've heard good things about it, but is it really the
right choice for someone who already knows Ruby and is trying to learn
rails?

I've found that, as in development, an incremental or spiral approach
works best for me.

When I first heard about Ruby, I focused on the language and worked
through the on-line version of the first ed of the Pickaxe.  Then I
got interested in Rails, and bought Agile Web Development.  Then I
bought the Pickaxe and got really serious about the language.

Now I'm working through the new edition of AWDWR, and rather than just
slavishly following Dave's examples, I'm playing with them, using the
Ruby knowledge that I've acquired, and seeing how it works in Rails.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/