Thomas Adam wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:58:07 +0900
> Roman Hausner <roman.hausner / gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am planning a project that has the following main requirements:
>>
>> - it must run on WinXP and Linux, idally also on OSX
>
> Tk, then.
>
>> - it must have a GUI preferably with the GUI's native widget set
>
> Native widget set?  No such thing -- it's entirely dependant on the
> widget set you wish to use, and that certainly bears no relation to the
> GUI, as it's the widget set that ultimately *defines* it.
>
>> - it must allow scripting access to system resources with a modern and
>>   comfortable scripting language
>
> Can you expand on that?  What you're describing here is separate from
> the GUI, or should be.
>
>> The last point is what made me consider Ruby: I'd love to have Ruby
>> as the embedded scripting language here.
>>
>> However, I cannot see how to solve the GUI issue, but maybe I have
>> missed
>> some things. Can anyone tell me if there is a common (portable) way to
>> easily implement a GUI, no matter what the underlying framework and
>> system
>
> Again, Tk ships with Ruby, and works on Windows, so...
>
> -- Thomas Adam

Thank you for the quick response. I was aware of Tk, but - honestly - I
think Tk is ugly, anachronistic and even a lot worse than current Java
Swing.
Tk looks alien on all systems and it looks a lot more alien that
Java Swing.

This is going to be an educational program and I'd like to make the GUI
as similar to what people are used to on their native OS as possible.
This is especially a concern for things like the file picker, buttons
etc.

Unfortunately, I am pretty new to portable GUI programming at all -- I
was
hoping that there was some abstraction layer that would simply adapt the
programmer's interface to whatever the native underlying OS requires.