On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:58:07 +0900
Roman Hausner <roman.hausner / gmail.com> wrote:

> I am planning a project that has the following main requirements:
>
> - it must run on WinXP and Linux, idally also on OSX

Tk, then.

> - it must have a GUI preferably with the GUI's native widget set

Native widget set?  No such thing -- it's entirely dependant on the
widget set you wish to use, and that certainly bears no relation to the
GUI, as it's the widget set that ultimately *defines* it.

> - it must allow scripting access to system resources with a modern and
>   comfortable scripting language

Can you expand on that?  What you're describing here is separate from
the GUI, or should be.

> The last point is what made me consider Ruby: I'd love to have Ruby
> as the embedded scripting language here.
>
> However, I cannot see how to solve the GUI issue, but maybe I have
> missed
> some things. Can anyone tell me if there is a common (portable) way to
> easily implement a GUI, no matter what the underlying framework and
> system

Again, Tk ships with Ruby, and works on Windows, so...

-- Thomas Adam