On 9/25/06, Michael P. Soulier <msoulier / digitaltorque.ca> wrote:
> On 25/09/06 Francis Cianfrocca said:
> > That's what I expected. Update Ruby, get past the documentation issue, and
> > you should be ok with nonblocking i/o. In regard to timing, I would use
> > select rather than SIGALRM.
> I find it odd that there are multiple released 1.8.4s. That's never happened
> with any other language that I use.

There aren't. I think you're missing out on several factors and reacting badly.

1.  ruby-doc.org is not maintained by the core Ruby website folks.
James Britt, the maintainer of ruby-doc.org, does so on his time. The
core Ruby website is and always has been ruby-lang.org and can be
considered more up-to-date than most other websites about Ruby with
respect to releases. ruby-doc.org is good, but it is an independent
but related project, not part of the main website.

2. There was only one *release* of Ruby 1.8.4. There wasn't even a
security patch (1.8.4.z) released. After release, there are dated
stable snapshots available. It is possible to get a Ruby 1.8.5 that
has further fixes available with recent changes as of right now. But
if you download Ruby 1.8.5, you're getting ONLY what was released
there.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca