> > One of the reasons I didn't get a CS degree is because they
> > required so much bloody math. I got a business degree
> > instead. Programming isn't about math. It's about logic,
> > and sociology/psychology.
>
> How weird.  I started out as EE, but changed to CS because
> EE required too much math!

*grin*

being CS myself, I'd like to state that:

   Programming is not Computer Science!

Programmers can have enormous benefits from CS, though.
I guess the logic that you mention is the small part of CS each
programmer needs to start with.

Programming is an engineering discipline and as such requires
sociology/psychology indeed.

Computer Science is a science to understand, reason about and
ultimately advance computers (in the broad sense). CS requires
mathematics, since huge parts of CS are based on the Turing machine,
which is a mathematical model.

A programmer does not need to know anything about infinite tape, but
will need to know about DMA instead. A theoretical computer scientist
may shudder at the mere thought of DMA, others might develop a model
for n-stage caching.

Bye,
Kero.

|  Don't split your mentality without thinking twice       |
|                          Proud like a God -- Guano Apes  |
+--- M38c ------- http://members.chello.nl/~k.vangelder ---+