------art_3898_8795848.1159005417852

> (And add any you think might be missing from the set)
>
>   Application
>   Library
>   Toolkit
>   Framework
>   Package
>   Project
>   Program
>
> Thanks,
> T.

Well they are constants of course, probably class names ;)
ok, ok I will do the work

Application := a software package or set of programs installed on a
dedicated set of machines providing a service to a User, which can be human
or another machine.
It is kind of "complete".

Library := books? A set of functions, deemed to be usueful,  for some
tasks,  not "complete" in the sense of an application, a library is not
useful unless used by
    an Application, Program

Framework := close to a library, rather more libraries dedicated to a
metatask, an idea of a domain of tasks, hmmm, maybe a Framework can be seen
as the smallest common denominator of a set of related Applications and its
implementation.

Toolkit := just a Framework, somehow I have the impression that a toolkit
flavors bottom up design and a Framework top down, huu I am far off the
stuff I know :(

Program := an executable that can occupy a Unix task ;) or the source
thereof.

Project   := A vision, illusion, task that can lead to any of the above, it
can materialize.
                 If an Application can be seen as the interface between the
computer doing a job and the user, a Project can be seen as the interface
between the concept of the computer doing a job and the people trying to
materialize that vision.

Package := (1) A method of mastering the variants of different hardware in
order to have the same SW run on them and therefore
                 (2) a wrapper of some (Application Program, Library,
Framework, Toolkit) allowing to adapt it to different contexts (that is OS,
Hardeware, Middleware, ...).

Lots of ideas lots of things to critisize, but I guess it is a start.
Ara that will be an interesting thread (with Delta at the end!!!).

Cheers
Robert

--
Deux choses sont infinies : l'univers et la bóŐise humaine ; en ce qui

- Albert Einstein

------art_3898_8795848.1159005417852--