[I posted that yesterday lunch time, and it didn't get on the archive
yet, so I'm posting that again.]

 Hello !

> That would work if the passed in object should be shared among all
> instances of my class, but that's not the case since it's a
> callback object that's supplied for a particular instance of my class.
> Correct me if I'm wrong but the variable is only global in my C
> code since I haven't made it visible to the Ruby environment with a
> rb_gv_set(const char *name, VALUE value)?

  Ooops... Unless I completely didn't get you right, you're going right
into troubles. There will always be one instance of your C variable. So
if you have several instances of your class, then everytime you use one,
you will actually use the reference that you stored in the last instance
created... it will all go wrong. I just can't understand why your 'self'
will be gone out of scope. Do you destroy quickly the instances of your
class ? But then, how do you expect to have a per-instance storage if
you destroy the instances ?

  Cheers !

	Vince