On 9/14/06, Randy Kramer <rhkramer / gmail.com> wrote:
> Not the OP, but thank you!  Somehow "if not" resonates better in my head than
> "unless".  I wonder if many other people, not yet intimate with unless in
> Ruby, find it the same.
>
> Probably too late to change, and I'm not advocating a change, but if I were
> writing a new programming language ...
>
> (I.e., ifnot, somewhat analogous to the elseif construct in some languages).

For me, it took some years before I started using unless and feel
comfortable with it.  However, after I've trained myself to actually
use it, it flows very naturally - more naturally than if not or
"ifnot", as both tokenize in my brain to two tokens, of which one is a
negation - and that's much more work to process than the single case
"unless".

Eivind.