Jonathan Denni wrote:

> Thanks a lot. I didn't get it working. I put erb.cgi and a .htaccess in
> /var/www/cgi-bin/ as directed in http://www.hiveminds.co.uk/node/3105
> but I can't find out what kind of OS the server is using, and i cannot
> create/edit files or directories in /bin or /usr/bin

Will any CGI script work in the /var/www/cgi-bin directory, for example one
that relies on "sh" or Perl? If so, put your own CGI script
in /var/www/cgi-bin that reveals things about the OS.

-------------------------------------

#!/bin/sh

echo -e "Content-type: text/html\r\n\r\n"

data=`set`

-------------------------------------

Don't leave this script in place, just use it temporarily to find out what's
going on.

> at this point, it looks to me like i should give up trying to use ruby
> on that server.

Use the above script and change:

data=`whereis ruby`

>  Thanks again for your help.

Just some ideas, and your conclusion may be correct.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com