In the first run of the sell-out Magic Models - ???I can???t believe its an
ActiveRecord??? - Super Show - you were amazed as we stripped away the
necessary essentials of an ActiveRecord - right in front of your eyes -
the necessary became unnecessary.

We removed the validates_presence_of validations??? and the Magic Model
still validated.

We removed the has_many, belongs_to, and has_many :through associations???
and the Magic Model still associated.

We removed the actual class definition itself - the very thing that
provides the ActiveRecord CRUD layer??? and the Magic Model still CRUDded.

In the new Magic Models, Virtual Validations get Virtuous!

>> g = Group.new
>> g.name = "x" * 51
=> "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx???
>> g.valid?
=> false
>> g.errors.full_messages
=> ["Name is too long (maximum is 50 characters)"]

All this and more in 0.8.0 of Dr Nic's Magic Models
http://drnicwilliams.com/2006/09/21/dr-nic-magic-models-validate-anything-anytime-anywhere/

Its magic like this that makes programming fun :)