Jonathan Denni wrote:

> Paul Lutus wrote:
>
>> A Ruby interpreter must be installed on the server machine. Apart from
>> that,
>> it should work without any fuss.
>
> ahh, well, thats probably my problem. i'm using the cheapest server i
> could find (canaca.com), which obviousely has no support for ruby. i was
> hoping there was some shortcut way i could use ruby on my website
> without having to change servers. is there some way to do that, or is it
> totally hopeless?

I didn't realize this was an offsite, commercial server. Many traditional
servers stay away from anything relatively new, to avoid instabilities.

Some commercial webservers allow you to install your own binaries. All you
have to do is find out what kind of processor and OS are in use, just as
you would for your home computer in choosing a binary. Then drop the
appropriate binary into /usr/bin or another suitable location, and you are
good to go.

But without this option or one like it, your instinct is correct -- you
wouldn't be able to run Ruby.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com